Thursday 8 September 2016

coconut lemon pound cake.

I finally found a recipe that uses coconut flour and is simple and delicious!

I used a lot of coconut flour when I first started considering what goes into my body and treating my chronic fatigue syndrome with food. It's so good because of its many health benefits but is quite a difficult flour to use.

Some of its benefits include:

  • it is gluten-free: gluten is damaging to the gut and is difficult for your body to process.
  • it is also grain-free and so doesn't need any special preparation, like some grains do, to help you process them.
  • it is high in protein, fibre and fat (the good kind), and so is much more filling than other flours.
  • it is made from the flesh of a coconut, so you know exactly what's in it, but the coconut flavour isn't overly dominant.
It's a difficult flour to use because:
  • it is highly absorbent and so you don't need much but you need to work quickly and use lots of liquid and eggs to get the recipe right.
  • it often clumps up as it is really fine so you need to mix it really well to ensure you don't get clumps of flour.
Coconut flour and I have been on a break because I didn't love any of the recipes but I'm glad I tried again. I think you'll also love this recipe I found. 

Do you have any coconut flour recipes you love? Please comment below, I'd love to try them!



COCONUT LEMON POUND CAKE
gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free

Ingredients:
5 eggs
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup lemon juice (this was about 1 1/2 lemons)
zest of one lemon
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch (also known as arrowroot starch/flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 175*C and line/grease a loaf pan (approx 8x20cm) 
  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon juice and zest.
  3. Add coconut flour, tapioca, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
  4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until skewer/toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Remove from pan, cool and eat!

Recipe from blog.paleohacks.com

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh...so looking forward to trying this. I feel like most of my recipes these days are coconut based...coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut oil and coconut sugar seem to be in everything! Thanks for sharing! I'll let you know when I make it. Plus I love the fact it is a simple mix and bake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is really simple. I enjoy recipes where I don't have to use the food processor!! Let me know how it goes :)

      Delete