Thursday 4 February 2016

what is kombucha?

I'm moving to Melbourne in six days. So I thought, why not run a kombucha making workshop two days before I go, while also packing pretty much everything, hosting farewell parties (and organising them), and saying my farewells at a funeral of a loved one. Some say I'm crazy, I know I am!!


But 'cause I want people to come (and make it worth my while), I thought I'd write an article on what kombucha is and why you should drink it (and why you should be making it yourself).
It'll be a quick one... cause I have things to do...

Looking back, I found an article I wrote about fermented foods when I first started making them. It's pretty good, if I don't say so myself. Check it out here: you drink what!?

But here are some answers to a few questions:

What is kombucha?

Kombucha is a fermented tea drink.

Is it hard to make?

Kombucha is quite simple to make once you know what you're doing. It only has a few ingredients, including a beloved SCOBY, which is used to ferment the tea.

Why is it good for me?

Kombucha is full of probiotics, which are the good guys in your gut. They're necessary for good health (much more than you're probably aware). Probiotics can be taken in supplement form, but I prefer including them in my diet! It has so many health benefits, why wouldn't you want to drink it?!

What does it taste like?

Kombucha is a slightly tangy, slightly sweet and slightly fizzy drink. When you make it yourself, you can make it just how you like it (depending on how long you leave it to ferment for). You can drink it plain or I like to flavour it, usually with fruit. Using apple makes it taste a bit like apple cider, and ginger makes it taste like ginger beer, but the flavour possibilities are endless.

Does kombucha contain alcohol?

Yes, it contains a very small amount of alcohol. I haven't measured mine, but from what I've read, it generally contains less than 1%. Again, this can be controlled by how long you leave it to ferment. Despite this, most people deem it safe for children and pregnant women.

What other questions do you have? Comment below or come along on Monday night to my kombucha workshop, it's going to be great!


No comments:

Post a Comment