Monday 22 February 2016

why I'm no longer a Virgin.

The other week I stopped being a Virgin. I never realised the impact that changing my mobile phone could have. As my husband and I have started caring more about people, and seeing the impact of social enterprises, we have both decided to stop being Virgins. Not being Virgins has allowed us to still have products with excellent service and great value for money but also make a difference in the world.

Oh, I'm talking about being a Virgin Mobile customer...

After a bit of research (and my husband doing a trial run of not being a Virgin for me), we have both decided on Jeenee Mobile.



Now, I could just tell you to join so I get free calls to you, but I already get unlimited phone calls, so that's not a good selling point.

So I'll tell you about my plan. For $4 extra per month, I have gone from $200 worth of calls and texts (not much) to unlimited calls and texts (unlimited). That's an infinite increase for $4 a month... if only everything was that good a deal! And I have increased from 1.2GB data to 2.5GB – more than double for much less than double (I know it doesn't work like that but I'm trying to sell it, alright!?)


As funny (and sometimes a bit personal) as it is being with "Virgin", a "Virgin customer", calling "Virgin to Virgin", Richard Branson really doesn't need any more of my money.

So here's why I've chosen to give it to Genie.

I mean, Jeenee.

Because all profits they make go back into the community, to serve those living with a disability. Jeenee Mobile donates free phone services, runs training programs and provides support to those living with a disability, and it's through my profits that they do it.


It helps people stay connected and feel safe, allowing them to be independent and giving them confidence. Who wouldn't want to provide this for others!?

There are more stories online of how this is making a difference to real people's lives, but here is Thomas':
Thomas is in his mid 20’s, lives in the inner suburbs of Sydney and has a learning difficulty and no expressive speech. Having no expressive speech has meant that Thomas was reliant upon support staff to accompany him wherever he went.
Thomas received one of the first Make a Difference donations in 2013. He has had his phone set up with ‘Tap to Talk’ – a picture based communication application which he uses as a communication tool. Thomas uses his phone in a variety of ways. He now has a ‘voice’ in the selection and management of the staff that provide support to him. He is also now involved in the decision making around his own increased independence relating to travel and leisure activities. For example he is now able to purchase a train ticket from station staff by using his phone to tell them his destination (which has been loaded onto the device for him).
If you own your phone outright (either you're a bit "outdated" like me, or you bought your phone outright like my husband – it works out cheaper) then join Jeenee Mobile. Sign up here.

Want to more about the Make a Difference Program? Read stories here. Or nominate someone you know who would benefit from this program.

Go on, use your well-earned money to help those in need (and you get an awesome phone plan out of it too!)


No comments:

Post a Comment