Saturday 18 July 2015

a beautiful banner for a beautiful wedding.

This year is a year full of weddings for me. Lucky I love weddings. I love seeing how different people express themselves and celebrate.

In March, our special friends Fi and Mike got married. Their wedding was beautiful because it expressed who they were and included lots of contributions from so many of their friends and family. They (ok, maybe she) knew what they wanted and what they wanted people to do. I was asked to create a banner for the entrance of their wedding and to live in their home. I was honoured.

Photography: Mr Glen Edwards

I was honoured because Fi is incredibly creative. And she has many incredibly creative friends. I don't see myself as creative around them. I don't let myself shine. But Fi believed in me, trusted me, and gave me confidence to design and create a banner for them. It was a privilege.

In asking me to do this, she has given me great confidence in other things. It's amazing how her small act of asking me to do something for her wedding has empowered me to do more and given me confidence in myself and my abilities. So I want to say thank you. Thank you Fifi for trusting and empowering me, for seeing things in me and for allowing me to grow through that.

A couple of the MANY shots from my living room floor, showing a little bit of the handsewn detail.
My trusty helper (I couldn't do it without him) and the finished product before the guests arrived.
Me with my banner.

Their wedding was beautiful, in so many ways, however the most special part for me were the name placecards. On each and every person's name card (all 126 of them), Fi handwrote three things that she loves about that person or sees in them. I have written about how I am a 'words of affirmation kind of girl' here, and this spoke to me. The words were clear and prophetic. I was honoured to receive the card. And they are incredibly designed (with all of the other wedding stationery) but the incredible Lauren Langley. My friends are pretty great.

This post is to honour my friends but also recognise the creativity in me and show off my banner. I'm pretty proud of it – I put my heart and soul (and many hours and handsewing nights) into it – and I'm looking forward to revealing more creative endeavours soon.






24 comments:

  1. Was a very beautiful touch to a very special day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet. I loved all of your touches. You made it so beautiful! x

      Delete