Tuesday 21 October 2014

cakes cakes cakes.

It's no secret that I love to bake or that I don't eat refined sugar (or any refined products for that matter). This is a conundrum to many as most cakes, as we know them, are made of huge amounts of white flour and caster/brown/raw sugar (did you know that raw sugar isn't actually raw!?).

Let me introduce you to A COUPLE of my fave cakes or cake-type things (too many to choose from!!)

Banana Bread, Well Nourished
This is from her e-book so probably isn't on her website
Mandarin and Poppy Seed Cupcake, Petite Kitchen


Orange Cake, The Healthy Chef
Date and Cinnamon Muffins, Brenda Janschek
These aren't super sweet, I prefer them as an afternoon or morning tea snack.

I realise I haven't included anything chocolatey here, which is a massive misrepresentation of my baking. I use cacao (no, that isn't a spelling mistake, it's the unprocessed version of cocoa) in so many things!

So, what do I use instead of sugar?
Pure maple syrup (never maple flavoured syrup). Honey. Dates or other fruit. Rice malt syrup. Coconut or rapadura Sugar.
Yes, these things are more expensive than a Homebrand bag of caster sugar, but I care more for my health than my wallet, and to be honest, they taste delicious! Give it a try and see if you like (or invite me over for dinner, I'd be more than happy to bring dessert!).

Unfortunately a couple of my absolute faves didn't make it on here because my photography skills aren't always up to scratch – especially when I'm taking a photo in the car in the dark (sorry Lime Cheesecake), or holding the cake trying to run out the door while already running late (sorry Choc Orange Cake), or they just looked too delicious to take a photo of before eating (sorry Christmas Cake), or they're blurry (sorry Berry Cheesecake), or I just have too many photos I can't decide (sorry Apple Crumble).

As you can see, there are so many delicious options, choosing what to make (or blog about) is the hardest part!

2 comments:

  1. Mez I am so so glad you wrote this post!! I went 8 weeks no sugar through July/August but have reverted back to old habits (especially when stressed) and I'm really keen to get off the sweet stuff again. I'm definitely going to try these, and would love to try any others you can recommend as well! Hope you're well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alice, thank you for your comment! I have changed my pantry and don't have any other sugar/treats in my house. I really notice the difference to my health, so that is a helpful factor! But I remember it's ok to have whatever when I'm out or whatever! Let me know what sort of recipes you're after and I can share others. xx

      Delete